Copyright 2012 - Complete Billing Systems - All Rights Reserved
Box 401 Regina, SK S4P 3A2 Canada
The Riverhurst Ferry is a toll free 18 car ferry which serves
the Riverhurst area 24 hours a day. The ferry makes half
hourly crossings of Diefenbaker Lake. The ferry departs on
the hour from the south and on the half hour from the north.
In the winter a safe ice crossing is laid out and maintained
by the Sask. Dept. of Highways.
History: Early records indicate a ferry near Elbow served the
people from 1905 or 1906 until 1926 when the Elbow bridge
was built which accommodated Highway #45 and the C.N.R.
This bridge was dismantled in 1964. The ferry at Log Valley
crossing operated from 1907 - 1917.
The spring of 1908 saw a scow in operation in the area
straight west on the Town Line - the road north of
Riverhurst. Lumber had been ordered the year before and
the first operator of the Riverhurst Ferry was H.E. Billings. It
operated at that point for several years and then moved up
the river. The last crossing was made at freeze-up 1964. It
was known as Riverhurst Crossing after 1950. It was built
mainly to give farmers on the west side of the river access
to the hamlets of Bridgeford and Tugaske on the newly built
C.P.R. branch line from Moose Jaw northward to Outlook.
Pioneers relate how feed for the horses, a roll of bedding
for the man and a lunch box topped every load of grain, for
the ground trip took two long days.
Before the days of the ferries, grain had to be hauled in the winter time after the ice on the river was strong enough for heavy loads.
The period of greatest value of the Riverhurst Ferry appears to have been between 1908 and 1919 when the Canadian Northern Railway reached Lucky
Lake from Dunblane.
The present Riverhurst Ferry began serving the area July 14, 1967. It is 117 feet long, 46 feet wide. The ship has a draught of 2.6 feet. Maximum load is
200,000 pounds. The ferry is powered by a 250 horsepower diesel engine. The ship was pre-assembled at Saskatoon then cut into 6 large sections and
transported to Cutbank where it was re-assembled on the bank of Lake Diefenbaker.